Monday, May 24, 2010

Fruit basket!

On saturday(I think), I got the idea for making a fruit basket for my uncle, as he and my aunt have just moved in to a new house. I'm going "home" (Back to where my family lives) this tuesday, so I have to have it ready for then. I found the pattern for the fruit here.

I first made the grapes. They were quite easy. But I was not happy with the pattern for the stem, so I made my own. No, it is not perfect, but I thought I was going to run out of time, so I just hurried to get it done.
The day after I had to go buy orange yarn for the orange. They didn't have orange in the yarn I usually use(Gjestal Østlandsgarn) so I had to buy a different yarn, in a different store. It wa quite similar, but a little thinner. I felt it, and really I did not have much else to choose from. I thought it would work, but the orange, even though I tried to modify the pattern, turned out way to small! So I made another one, that ended up even smaller, and called them clemetines.

Yesterday I made the pear and the banana. I am really happy with the pear. Actually, I'm really happy with the banana too. The banana was easy to bend to shape after I finished it and the pear just had the right shape!

But I'm most happy with the apple. Must be a MacIntosh;)

The basket isn't finished yet, it needs to dry off. I used a technique that I don't know what the most common word for it is, but according to wikipedia it can be called fulling, tucking or walking. Using green soap(?) and hot water rubbing the wool until it sort of tangles it self together. I made the choice because the basket otherwise had gotten to loose. I hope it turns out to become firm enough. The basket is made after this pattern, with just a few modifications, and I'm not going to make the handle and ornament.






No comments:

Post a Comment